Monday, March 18, 2013

Hello my Long Lost Blogger Friends!

Hi There! I think it is safe to say from my reading list that I am not the only person to drop off the blogging radar. Particularly my friends from the WW 20's board who shared our weight loss journeys, followed by our pregnancies, then maternity leave, and back to the working world. There are days where I celebrate the opportunity to eat dinner AND get on the treadmill before crawling to the shower and then rolling myself to bed. There hasn't been a lot of opportunity to blog in there. And wouldn't you know, I've never been happier? Not because I'm not blogging, but because I'm busy, and I enjoy each aspect of my life right now.

Life is chaotic. Like....cha-o-tic. I look up to the sky often and think, "God, why did I get the career opportunity that I aspired to reach in my list of life goals when my son was 9 months old? Not before when I could fully jump into the position, work late and travel without considering other obligations. Not after, when my son was more independent and needing less of my time. Now. Now when he needs me from dinner time to bedtime, all weekend long, and every time he is sick. (Which has been a LOT this flu and cold season.)" And then I picture Him smiling at me, and I see just a tiny human understanding of His purpose for me, and I send gratitude.

Just some of the benefits of His timing include understanding that:
1. Family comes first. Always. No matter what.
2. Jobs come and go. I can love it. I can be proud of it. I can embrace it. I can work my booty off for it. But the day ends, and I go home to what really counts. To what motivates me to get up in the morning and go to work. I visualize the saddest time in my life, when I stood at the foot of my uncle's bed while he took his last breaths. He was surrounded by family. He was not surrounded by paychecks, by awards from work, by performance reviews. He was surrounded by those who loved him. Isn't that really the true performance review in life? Being surrounded by people who love you because you showed them love throughout your life? I think so. And while I really enjoy my job, I keep this perspective in mind as often as I humanly can.

This matters...



Much more  than this matters...


If I had received this opportunity before my family was established, I don't know if I would have fully understood this concept. I HOPE I would have, but it would have been much more difficult to train myself to cut back rather than start out with a healthy balance. (Even if that balance was a little forced in the beginning.)

But I digress....

I sit here at 132.3 pounds. I sort of laugh to think how HARD I used to work to reach this weight. Yes, I have been eating a low-cal low-fat diet. YES I have been hitting the treadmill and gym more. But really, I'm not working nearly as hard as I did before I had my baby to reach this weight.

What's the difference? For one, I don't have time to drink. So I'm not hitting up social situations where I drink my calories very often. Another difference is the 27 pound moving weight I carry around the house in the form of a 14 month old. I challenge everyone reading this to grab 27 pounds and carry it up and down the stairs a few times. Then, throw it up and down over your head. Cook dinner with one hand while the weight rests on your hip. Are you out of breath? I'm not. This just goes to show that you can find exercise in creative ways!

But alas, those who have followed me know how desperately I've always wanted to be a runner, and this requires consistent practice and training. I am not at ALL where I want to be in my running. I admit, I took a LONG hiatus from running when I started my new position. This new job rocked my world. I took on a commute and longer hours, and at first, I just didn't have the mental or physical energy to do it after my long days of learning the new job. But then it became a bad habit. Lack of running that is. Finally, after the new year when I felt that I had a handle on my work, when my son started going to bed a little earlier, and when my husband and I started streamlining our dinners again (protein and veggies anyone), I stepped on the treadmill.

I'm only up to about 1.5 miles of actual running without walking, but I expect to be at 4 miles of running by the end of April. (God willing that I stop getting head colds and allergy attacks.)

Daddy Lo and I have 2 races in April. One with a few family members, the annual Trolley Run which is 4 miles and ending in the Plaza. This is my 4th time running the race, and was the first race I ran after having Baby Lo! I'm praying for a cool, rainy day again. I have NEVER felt so good during a run.

The second is Rock the Parkway. This will be my second time running Rock the Parkway
(5k). Rock the Parkway was a race I ran when I was in the BEST shape of my life. If I recall the course correctly, the first half is uphill, and the second half is downhill. Zoom zoom! Maybe next year we'll be ready to run a half marathon. Wouldn't that be something?

Besides my running goals, I do still have a little weight to lose. Remember when I wanted to weigh 125 while I was still 25? And then I got pregnant? Well, how about I try again. I'm shooting for 125 while I'm still 27. Goodness, I can't believe 2 years have passed since I was at this stage in my weight loss journey. And I can't believe how dangerously close I'm getting to 30.

What challenges do you face to reach your fitness goals?
Do you work out early morning or late night?

~Mama Lo~

2 comments:

  1. I've missed you! I'm no longer blogging, mostly because I'm too busy enjoying life! Your little one is ADORABLE! I can't believe how big he's getting! If you have a twitter, I'd love to connect with you on that! Mine is megangwen314! Oh, and this is Megan from My Road to Skinny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan! I miss you too! I will find you on twitter today!

      Delete